Tips for Winning – Casino Survival Guide
Casinos make money when you lose, the very last thing they want is for you to win. Here are what I consider to be the five most important rules if you’re serious about wanting to win in the casino:
- Absolutely know the games you are playing!
It’s a proven fact that the player with the most knowledge has the best luck. Never jump into a game until you’ve first observed and learned how to play it. Research the games you are going to play online, and at any time you are playing, don’t be afraid to ask the dealer to explain anything you don’t understand.
- Never drink and play!
One of the casinos chief weapons used to get you to give them your money is by offering you all the free drinks you want. Drinking alcohol impairs your judgment and thinking process. Don’t drink while playing in the casino. When you’re gambling you’ve got to have a clear head in order to win.
- Don’t throw away your money!
Before you step out the door of your house headed to the casino, set a limit on how much money you’re going to spend and then stick with it. Too many gamblers burn a hole though their wallets and end up going over their spending limit only to lose more money. While we’re on the topic of managing your bank roll, remember to save the money you win. Any amount over and above your starting bankroll is a net win, you should take home. Don’t re-bet your winnings!
- Don’t become overconfident!
The very worst thing that can happen to a novice gambler is to win too big too fast. If you do start winning big, don’t throw your caution to the wind, figuring your on a roll. When you start to win big, remember the streak is not going to last, be sure to maintain your caution and gamble with your head, not your emotions.
- Keep a low profile!
Wherever there are large amounts of money, there will always be unsavory characters on the prowl. For your own protection, don’t tell anyone at the casino how well you’re doing, whether you’re winning or losing. Also, be sure to hide your cash from public view, and if you have a large bankroll lock it up with the casino cashier until you’re ready to leave
Casino Betting Strategies
Players who rely on pure luck to win nearly always lose. Here are some simple strategies that should help you beat the odds at casino games:
$5 and Under Bets
- Supposing you were playing roulette and made even-money bets on Red. Your starting bankroll is 40 units. (a unit being $1, $2 or $5) You can’t hope to get ahead if you wager one unit each time and collect after every win. As a smart gambler you bet bigger using your winnings, not the money you brought to the table.
- For this example we’ll assume one unit is $1. This is what would happen if you are on a winning streak and you bet-back your winnings plus one dollar from your original stake in each consecutive round:
- 1. round: Bet $1, win $1, collect $2 / 2. round: Bet $2 plus $1, win $3, collect $6 / 3. round: Bet $6 plus $1, win $7, collect $14 / 4. round: Bet $14 plus $1, win $15, collect $30 / 5. round: Bet $30 plus $1, win $31, collect $62 / 6. round: Bet $62 plus $1, win $63, collect $126.
- Five- or six-round streaks are not that uncommon. As long as you bet only one unit of your own money each round, you won’t get into much trouble.
$10 and Higher Bets
For table minimums of $10 and up I suggest you:
- Plunk down $80 and get eight $10 chips.
- Make four consecutive $10 bets, win or lose. If you haven’t won at least two of the four rounds, collect your remaining chips and try another table.
- Quit and leave the table if you lose three bets in a row.
- As long as you have more than four chips left, continue betting one unit at a time. Leave the table if you lose $40.
- Once you’re ahead by $20 and as long as you keep winning, increase the amount of your bet by $10 each time. As soon as you have a losing round, revert back to the table minimum. Quit and take a break if you lose three times in a row.
Winning at Slots
- Here’s a sensible way to chase that big jackpot:
- Divide your bankroll into a number of segments. If your slot budget for the day is $100, you have $20 for each of five separate sessions.
- Set a loss limit and a win goal for each session. If you started with $20, promise yourself that you’ll quit the session as soon as you’ve lost the $20 or you’ve won $20 or more.
- If you get five losing spins in a row, move to another machine. Chances are the one you’re on is in a cold cycle, or it’s set for low payback to begin with.
Winning at Video Poker
- All machines go through hot and cold cycles. Don’t waste your precious bankroll on “cold” machines. If, after 5 or 6 hands you haven’t hit payouts that come even close to the total you’ve put into the machine, move on.
- Supposing you started out with 80 coins, you’ve found a machine that’s in a “paying mood”; continue playing as long as the credits keep building. Watch the meter. Once the count grinds down and is 40 coins below your highest total, cash out.
Getting Away with the Loot
You’re a true winner if you leave the casino with more money than you came with. The secret lies in quitting when you’re ahead! It’s greed that keeps people at a table or a machine too long. Fight it and you’ll get away with the loot more often! Have fun and good luck!